Pre Conference Networking Session
- Delegates arrive from 8:30am when an informal breakfast is provided, and a chance to network with other attendees, before the conference starts at 9:30am
- Chairman’s Welcome & Introduction – where are we with Student Housing Property Investment?
- Where does Student Housing fit with the wider spectrum of rented residential and other property asset classes and how is it performing?
- How has the sector been affected by rising interest rates?
- How is the Student Housing sector adjusting to the growth in ESG requirements?
- Where are the real growth markets across Europe and which markets are now fully mature?
- Understanding the Evolution of Student Housing as a Global Property Asset Class
- Where do the UK & European Markets fit into the overall picture?
- Where are the similarities & differences with UK & European markets?
- Is Co-Living a natural evolution of the product across Europe?
- The UK Student Housing Market in 2024 – where are the key opportunity areas over the next 5 years and how is the market evolving?
- What are the key transactions in the UK Market and what do these tell us about where the market is heading?
- What is happening with UK Rents, Values, & Opportunity areas?
- Which UK Cities now represent real value and why is there so much demand for UK stock in the current market?
- Which universities are going to see the highest demand and which towns and cities will require more supply?
- UK Student Housing Panel – what is the future of the UK Market?
- Where do operators and investors see the market evolving?
- With planning challenges, rising build costs, and an increasing cost of borrowing, are there now concerns about the viability of UK Development?
- How is planning affecting the UK Student Housing market?
- How important is ESG and sustainability with each portfolio and how can we repurpose existing stock to meet modern environmental targets?
- Why is the HMO market an opportunity area and how is this sector becoming more professional?
- What kind of stock will the UK market demand in coming years in terms of build, design and amenities?
- Where are the key opportunity areas moving forward, looking both at location and also at the product? Do operators plan to evolve into other markets as well as students?
Coffee & Networking Session
Middle Conference Session
- Investment in the Student Housing Sector – what has happened with transactions in the last year, who is involved and what do we expect in the next 12 months?
- How do Investors see the Student Housing Property Market
- Why is ESG now so important and how is it affecting investment decisions?
- What are their aspirations in terms of size of portfolios & where do they see the opportunities Geographically?
- How do they view the UK, Europe and Potential Global Markets?
- Where do we see the product and service evolving and is there now a big opportunity to diversify and serve other markets other than students?
- How do Investors view the Student Housing Market in the long-term sense and where do they see the growth?
- How do they feel the sector can best be supported and what approach are they taking?
- Is Rental Living a natural progression for those investing & Operating in Student Property?
- Debt in the Student Housing Sector
- How do the lenders view the Student Housing Market?
- What has been the impact on increasing interest rates and how do we think this will evolve in the coming months and years?
- What kind of deals are lenders now looking for and where?
Networking Lunch Session for Speakers & Attendees
Afternoon Conference Session
- Analysing the current state of the market & the role of HMOs and PBSA in capacity
- Understanding affordability and demand for each in an inflationary environment
- What has changed with HMOs and why are they now seen an investment grade opportunity?
- How aligned are supply and demand growth and what impact is this having on occupancy?
- Understanding what Gen Z are really looking for and what matters to them
- How can the sector adapt to deliver what the modern customer wants?
- Technology, Sustainability, Community, Wellbeing & Affordability – where do these factors fit in and what is needed?
- Looking at recent rent rises – how do these compare with previous rises?
- Is the picture uniform or are there differences across the UK?
- Is there any impact in the cities which received high media coverage for a shortage of accommodation last year?
- What could the impact on cities with above index inflation be?
- How can the University Sector & Private Sector work together to deliver modern, fit for purpose facilities, that prioritise Student Wellbeing and ESG as a whole?
- How has the operation of Student Accommodation evolved and how is the sector approaching inflation and the increasing costs of living?
- What kind of measures can we put in place to improve the Student Experience and take the best care of their wellbeing, both in the short and longer term?
- How can technology and innovation help with this and what kind of ideas are we seeing?
- What kind of Partnership Opportunities will be prevalent between Universities and Private Sector Operators & Investors to deliver both a best in class product and service?
- Where are the partnership Opportunities with Universities and how can they be developed?
- What should universities be offering in terms of design for Student Accommodation?
- How is planning now perceived and how should this be approached?
- Understanding Continental European Markets – where is performing and where are we seeing the strongest growth?
- Which markets are now the most mature and where are the real opportunity markets?
- What has been happening with market activity across Europe and who are the key players?
- Where are the opportunities on the ground and what kind of business models and JVs are being used in Europe?
- Where are the new emerging markets?
- European Markets Panel Session – Where are the opportunities in Mainland Europe?
- Why is Europe continuing to grow in popularity?
- Where are the new opportunity markets in Europe?
- Have development economics around debt, construction costs and utilities costs impacted some markets more than others?
- Where in particular is proving attractive for Investors and how much of a priority is ESG in Europe?
- How do Continental Markets view the link between Student Housing and Build to Rent/Co-Living?
- How mature is the market and what are reasonable growth projections?
- What the investors are doing and where are they putting their money?
- Closing remarks from the Chair
Close & 2023 Student Housing Industry Drinks Reception for Speakers and Attendees